This course aims at transferring knowledge and skills to senior officers to administer, supervise and monitor training and assessment of seafarer competence onboard in accordance with the provisions of section A-I/6 of the STCW Code.
This course also covers the training for assessing the "Behavioural competenciesâ€ť of sea staff in accordance with INTERTANKO-OCIMF document on "Behavioural Competency Assessment and Verification for Vessel Operatorsâ€ť.
This course comprises lectures, discussions and series of demonstrations with full involvement by the trainees of how various assessment techniques could be applied to conduct competence-based assessment on board ships.
- Short presentations of assessment techniques, with explanations of practical implications.
- Applications of competence-based assessment techniques by the course instructors and by the trainees.
- Workshops, with task-solving and interactive exercises.
- Preparation for the assessment
- Purpose of in-service assessment
- Methods of Assessment
- Shipboard Assessment System
- Competence based assessment
- Assessorâ€™s role and technical behavioural skills required
- The assessment process
- Conduct pre-assessment briefing
- Observe traineeâ€™s performance and record the results
- Evaluate the process and determine the assessment outcome
- Assessment debrief