Faulty, incorrect and inadequate surface preparation and painting procedures on board, are not uncommon. These result in unnecessary wastage of time, effort and money, as the main objective of good surface and steel protection is not achieved. The purpose of this course is to familiarize the shipâ€™s Officers with the correct techniques of Surface preparation and Painting on board, the related concepts and guidelines,
and the related Safe Working Practices onboard, so that they are able to supervise the task of surface preparation and painting correctly, to ensure that this maintenance work is carried out economically and effectively, and serves the purpose for which it is carried out.
- Types and causes of corrosion.
- Surface Preparation Standards by tools, abrasives and blasting.
- The procedure of various ways of Pre-preparation of the surface and the tools and equipment used for the same.
- Composition of various types of Paint.
- Calculation of how much paint and thinner to order.
- Understand the impact of the Dew Point and Relative Humidity on the application of paint.
- Recognizing painting flaws.
- Adherence to safety when carrying out surface preparation and painting.